Sunday 21 July 2013

(Half) Iron maidens

We did it!  On Sunday July 14th, at approximately 12:30pm, myself and two of my sisters, crossed the finish line of a long-distance triathlon....alive!  1.9km of paddling, 86km of peddling, and 20km of plodding, in the sunshine (though it was thankfully only a "refreshing 28 degrees celsius" that day, apparently) around the Marlow course.  

Post-race dip, to avoid melting. 

With beers (non-alcoholic, electrolyte-filled) and our chief supporter, sister #4.

I was so relieved to finish, having not really known for the last three months whether I'd survive it, and certainly not in what state.  The pre-race anxiety was infiltrating my dreams the week before, and certainly my diet, with carb-loading combinations of epic proportions (I particularly liked the porridge with peanut butter, yogurt and ice-cream).

But the eating, extra-sleeping, swimming, cycling and running, and importantly, electrolyte gargling (I swopped my glass of champagne for electrolytes at a wedding on Race-day minus 1) were fully worth it for successfully completing the course along with my muscley sisters, all in times much faster than we were expecting.  And we were greeted by our wonderful support team, who cheered us on at every possible cheering point (despite being poorly and unable to sit in bed watching the cricket or Tour de France), and made it all a lot more bearable.

I remain confident that I will never become a full Iron Person though.  That really is only for the super-heroes and mad men (BK)....for whom I have the ultimate respect.  And for those who are building up to do first 5km run, I also have ultimate respect.  All challenges are relative, meaningful and admirable, and I'm very grateful that I have legs and arms and lungs that rose to this challenge.

My sisters and I chose (though succumbed is more appropriate for me - I thank them for being the force behind this) to do this challenge to raise money and awareness for lung cancer research, after having some wonderful people in our lives become ill.  (Just incase....https://www.justgiving.com/colesistersironmen)  We thank one person in particular, for being such a fun and inspiring friend to our family, before and through her illness.  This world can sometimes seem very unfair, but our friend doesn't hold a grudge, and so her and the world continue to have fun times together.  And long may that last.

Onwards and upwards........and to the next challenge?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home