Wednesday 19 November 2014

Sweet success!

In days gone by, during the long-forgotten period of Lent, I mentioned that I’d given up added sugar.  I am happy to report that I not only survived the ordeal, I actually really quite enjoyed it (not to say that I am also now very much enjoying cake again).  Like with all general rules however, there were several exceptions, which I gracefully accepted:
(i)                  One mocha, which I bought one afternoon at work, towards the end of a long day, when I’d not been able to eat much all week due to a stomach upset – I felt the pick-me-up might be allowed? (rhetorical, I think)
(ii)                30th birthday cakes of people I know well, and in particular those that their Mummys or Konditor & Cook had made (& I risked my life in Friday night rush-hour traffic to collect for a friend),
(iii)               Wedding cakes, obviously, and
(iv)              Custard, made by my Mummy, whose inventive logic won over my exhausted will power.

As an aside, I recently read an article all about sugar and our addiction to it.  It drove the break-down and development of new nations, in a way that we may be analogies with fossil fuels at the moment, and possibly water supplies in the future.  Perhaps something to think about next time I pop just one more marshmallow.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home