Sunday 14 October 2012

Mumbles on a holey Bubble

There's not really a reason for this blog. I just felt like mumbling a bit, probably in a procrastinatory effort to avoid work for a bit longer.

Life has changed. Not very much, but I do feel like the Bubble has burst a bit. Now that my PhD is nearly finished and I'm 'free', there seems to be a lot more real-life stuff to be getting on with. I think I didn't quite realise how lucky I was there for 4 years, with money and only one big project to focus on. Now there are all sorts of things that to be busying myself with: teaching*, a lecture* or two, lab work for other busier people, book research for other even busier people than those busy people, papers to convince journals to publish*, vivas* (hopefully just the one though) to prepare for....and strawberry plants** to be moved. I don't mean to complain though - my CV is loving all these things, and I think I will enjoy lots of them*. And I guess this is what it feels like to be a grown-up (in some small way). All part of life's rich pageant.

The weight of the DPhil does seem to have lifted though; I ran a half marathon through the beautiful and glowing autumnal lanes of Oxford this morning, in a pretty good-for-Lyd time given my carb-loading involved cider and cereal. Oxjam was worth the lack of sleep though.

I'm quite pleased I get to hang around in this Bubble, albeit now holey, for one more year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home