Wednesday 11 June 2008

The electricity is back on, somehow!

So, week 3 already! It’s soo hot! I havent’ sweated so much just sat doing nothing in a long time/ever. Luckily, apparently I don’t sweat though according to Bjorn - I just glow! But even with the heat, it is still an incredible place and I’m having an amazing time. Bjorn and I have decided to focus our research on the issues of corridors, which have been ‘built’ between the main body of Kaziranga National Park, and the Karbi Hills, to the South, which is a different ecosystem but has areas of higher ground which are really important for some of the animals during the flood period (coming up in July - when the Brahmaputra river can rise by metres). It’s a huge disruption to the area. So we’re looking at the impact of these corridors on humans: how much they’ve altered the number of wild animals coming to villages and destroying crops, affecting livelihoods. We’re going to villages all along the boundary of the park and near to corridors and asking questionnaires to villagers to see what problems they are having. It’s been so interesting. Some people aren’t bothered by the animals much at all. Others lose sometimes 100% of their crops and that’s with staying up all night, every night, to guard them from the elephants, rhinos, wild boar, deer and wild buffalo that regularly wander out of the park. We’re also doing some Rapid Biodiversity Assessments to look at how different villages differ in their species composition and if areas closer to the park are perhaps suffering from more exhausted resource-use. So I’m getting to nerd it up on my trees and now know lots of fig tree varieties. Haven’t tried any yet, although I did get to try Jack fruit. They’re bigger than a small child and taste of bubble gum. Our field assistants are troupers. And so are the people we’ve interviewed. Beautiful people too! Especially Mahoot, the handsome Elephant driver! Maybe I’ll marry an Indian! So, apart from still not being quite sure how I’m going to use all of this data, everything is more than dandy and we’re still being treated like royalty. Laura joined us yesterday for a few days too (another classmate) on her way north to her field site, and I think Wild Grass is enjoying having another white person about. Pale skin is a desirable thing apparently, although I was told I’m pretty red looking (and unhealthy?!) today. Off to the park to try and spot some more rhinos. What a life! Maybe I’ll just be a student always.


Few days later….rain almost stopped play today, since the butterflies and birds don’t like doing their shopping in the rain. The trees were braving it however (troopers) and as beautiful as ever! The sweetest smelling tree so far: Thevetia peruviana (just showing off my knowledge). Probably can be grown in gardens in the UK/States, etc. but bare in mind it’s an exotic! I’m not encouraging that. We just went to a village right next to a wildlife corridor, and there seemed to be a lot of damage from wild animals, especially elephants, who are destroying over about 10% of the houses in the village each year. Quite unbelievable the level of damage really. Anyway, Bjorn’s turn to use the computer so I’ll go and put some more nasty deet on (lots of bites - I’m really hoping the Doxycycline will hold out). Love to everyone who might be reading and I hope you’re all well and not as sweaty and grubby as me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Lyd..

Fascinating reading! It really sounds like you are having an adventure of a time and with the air of work associated to it too! Brilliant!

Looking forward to your future posts and hoping you are still well, happy, learning more trees and meeting more nice people.

Lots of love,
Bex xx

12 June 2008 at 07:27  
Blogger Pete said...

Wow, Lydie, again it sounds totally amazing!

It's fascinating that you mention about some villagers having serious problems with wildlife, and others not having trouble at all. It sounds like an obvious point, but it's very easy from a distance to treat 'communities' as having a single common interest, whereas close-up it's clear that's there's lots of differing, in some cases, competeing ones. It's amazing how much of the Development Studies literature falls into this trap.

I can totally empathise with the heat - I'm heading back to Nigeria in the autumn and even now I'm psyching myself up for it! Three t-shirts a day weather! (And I assure you I sweat rather than glow)

Good luck rhino spotting!

12 June 2008 at 18:52  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home